The Internet should add convenience, not headaches. From step-by-step instructions to helpful tips, we'll help you install your equipment, troubleshoot problems, and get the most out of your online experience – minus the migraine.
Cox Data Plan and Usage Information
Last Updated: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 > Related Articles
Learn more about data usage and how it impacts data plans.
Data usage is the amount of data that customers consume when sending, receiving, downloading, or uploading information through their Internet service. This data includes, but is not limited to, images, movies, photos, videos, streaming media, system download updates, application and system updates, and other files. It also includes network and application overhead which are necessary elements to send and receive the traffic to its proper destination. To learn more, see one of the following topics below.
To help you manage your monthly data plan, you can access the Data Usage Meter. The Data Usage Meter provides detailed information on the amount of data consumed by your household using your Cox High Speed Internet services.
A data plan is the amount of data included with your Cox High Speed Internet package. Cox offers multiple packages of high-speed Internet service to best meet the needs of our customers. Each Internet package includes a monthly data plan to help ensure a high-quality online experience for all our customers. Data plans details are available at Speeds and Data Plans Information.
Monthly data usage includes data downloaded and uploaded with calculations based on the customer’s individual billing cycle.
See the FAQs below for questions related to Data Plans.
Using these Cox-provided services will not count towards your monthly data plan.
- Video accessed through Cox TV Connect
- Video on Demand and TV accessed through the Contour app and not accessed via a 3rd party app like HBO GO or ESPN3
- Cox Digital Telephone
To estimate your monthly data usage, use the Data Usage Calculator. Estimates vary based on the specific Internet activity and content that you upload or download.
Cox does not throttle speeds.
To help you manage your monthly data plan, Cox provides a Data Usage Meter. The Data Usage Meter is an easy-to-use tool that you can use to monitor your daily, monthly and historical data usage. It provides detailed information on the amount of data consumed by your household using your Cox High Speed Internet services.
See the FAQs below for questions related to the Data Usage Meter.
There are numerous factors that can impact your data usage. These factors may include someone in your household consuming a lot of data, an unsecured wireless network being used by someone outside your household, automatic application or system updates, such as McAfee, Microsoft Office, or ITunes or possibly even a virus. Therefore, we recommend you take the following actions.
- Speak with other members of your household or other parties with whom you may be sharing your computer(s) or Internet service to ensure you are aware of the total usage for your account.
- If you are operating a wireless network, check the security settings and ensure that you are not unintentionally sharing your Internet service with your neighbors or other unauthorized users. Securing a wireless network is an easy process that takes only a few minutes and protects both you and Cox from potential abuse. For information on how to secure your wireless network, see Resources for Securing Your Wireless Network. This article provides a list of manufacturers and their support web sites.
- One or more systems connected to your Cox High Speed Internet Service could be infected with a Trojan virus which is using your connection to further spread itself or conduct other malicious activities. You should immediately remove any infected systems from the network, back-up your personal data, re-image and then re-secure the system. If you are not familiar or comfortable with this process, you should seek the assistance of a trained professional or at least someone who is knowledgeable and capable of performing these tasks. To learn more about how to prevent spyware and viruses and download a free copy of Cox Security Suite, a $199 value. Visit: http://ww2.cox.com/residential/internet/cox-security-suite.cox.
Cox recently updated the data usage measurement system for residential customers using High Speed Data services. As a result of the system update, prior data usage has been reset and will not display in the Data Usage Meter. The Data Usage Meter will reflect new data usage starting on February 2, 2015 for customers in Phoenix.